Thursday 6 July 2017

Chapter 41

I am currently down on the Kentish coast, looking at houses. But I’ll get to that in a moment.

About a month ago, I turned 41. Normally, my birthday passes with little fuss, but this year I made a big deal out of it, by making it the first day of my new working life. It was the day I became a half-time freelance writer, half-time work from home employee. Actually, I decided to give myself the day off, and took the kids to the zoo instead (oh, the joys of being able to go to the zoo on a quiet Monday!).

This reorganization of my work was only the first step in my family’s master plan to rearrange our life. Step 2 was leaving Oxford (after 11 great years) and moving down to the Kentish coast to be near the sea, one set of grandparents, and one set of great grand-parents. We already have a buyer lined up for our house in Oxford, and that sale is progressing. It should hopefully complete early next month. Our plan is then to temporarily move in with my in-laws while we work on getting a new house of our own in Kent. It will be a bit of squeeze, especially with all of our stuff, but it is wonderful that we have that option.

In truth, I’m sure it will all be a bit of a pain, but if you want to change your life for the better, you often have to experience a bit of discomfort in the short term.
I’ll let you know how it all goes.

12 comments:

  1. Best of luck with the move and changes, Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FE - That's a Folkestone code on that there boat Joe. Doe that mean you'll be anywhere near Folkestone perchance? Would love to offer a few games of Frostgrave with you if you are. Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. My man! Kent will treat you well. WE aren't so bad down here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't tell my wife your moving near the water...she keeps reminding me that's her dream! Of course when she does I fill the bathtub & point at the water 8D. Best of luck with it Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy Kent it is nice....but I moved away 😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just moved house this week so empathise with your situation - it'll be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep positive it will all work out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats and can you tell me what those structures are in the background?

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are Marello towers. They were built as part of the defensive strategy against a possible invasion by Napoleon. Something like 100 were built around England at the time. I'm not sure how many survive now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Moving to the coast sounds like a dream come true. All the best and smooth sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a fan! I found this blog tonight, and I love the life strategy. Now I need to investigate Frostgrave.

    ReplyDelete