Tuesday 3 December 2013

The Great Mountain Dew Betrayal


For the last couple of years, I have ordered myself a Christmas treat of a case of Mountain Dew from Americansoda.co.uk and used it as my own super-caffeinated advent calendar. This year’s order arrived today, but my excitement quickly turned to disappointment when I discovered that the Dew was actually from Poland! I gave it a try, but at best it can be described as vaguely similar. Not the taste of home I was after!

I wrote to American Soda asking for an explanation. I received a quick, if curt, reply saying that that the website made this clear. I checked the website again. Here is the page for Mountain Dew. Now if you click on ‘More Information’, it is true that they do say that it is a European product, ‘based on’ the American recipe.

Now I ask you, gentlemen of the jury. If I am shopping on a site called ‘American Soda’, that has, in the past, supplied American Mountain Dew, is it really fair to expect customers to go looking for a change that they have no reason to suspect?

After another email, I got American Soda to offer to refund my money if I ship the soda back to them. Of course, they know full well that the cost to an individual to ship 24 cans of soda would cost as much, or more, than the soda itself.

Live and learn. I will not shop with American Soda again. I have already ordered a replacement case from USA Food Store. Note how theyproclaim that they have the genuine article! I’ll let everyone know if they deliver on the promise.     

Update!

On the third email, American Soda has informed me that American Mountain Dew is now banned in the EU.  A quick search reveals this to be true. One wonders why they didn’t mention this in the first email (it also makes me wonder about the case I have on order?). The plot thickens, and I am given one more reason to dislike the European Union.

3 comments:

  1. Mountain Dew banned in the EU? I wouldn't be able to live there now. I wonder why it has been banned?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am drinking some Dew right now. Brominated Vegetable Oil seems to be the problem for those in the EU and Japan. One of my co worker probably gets 40% of his calories from Dew and I know when he drives to canada for business he brings his own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad times :( - according to their UK site, it's the High Fructose Corn Syrup that Mountain Dew can't use over here - it's why I'm glad I managed to get to taste five different flavours of Dew on my honeymoon earlier this year!

    ReplyDelete